Tension In Bayelsa University Over Fire Outbreak
There was panic on Wednesday on the campus of the Bayelsa State Medical University, BMU, along Mgbi Road in Yenagoa, the state capital, following an early morning fire outbreak in a hostel.
According to sources, the fire, which started at about 6:40 am at the female hostel of the university, is said to have been caused by an electric spark while a student was trying to iron her clothes.
Naija News House gathered that the alarm raised about the fire outbreak caused panic, with scores of students scampering for safety while others frantically moved valuables from the hostel.
Personnel of the Federal and Bayelsa State Fire Services reportedly responded to the emergency call promptly and succeeded in preventing the fire from spreading to other rooms on the block.
The Vice Chancellor of the institution, Prof. Ebitimitula Etebu, and the Chief Security Officer, Prince Diete-Spiff, appreciated the officials of the two fire services for their prompt response to the emergency.
No life was lost or physical injury suffered, except for the destruction of belongings, including documents and clothes, among other items, of the occupants of the affected room.