Kaduna Bombing: Nigerian Army Finally Breaks Silence
Amid controversy, the Defence Headquarters (DHQ) says 81 persons have died and 70 others injured following the recent accidental bombing in Tudun Biri village in Igabi Local Government Area of Kaduna State.
On Thursday, Major General Edward Buba, the Director of Defence Media Operations, disclosed this while addressing journalists at the Defence Headquarters in Abuja.
The development comes after Amnesty International’s Country Director, Isah Sanusi, confirmed the death toll, stating that over 120 persons had died in the bombing.
But, DHQ said figures from Doctors and the community indicated that 81 persons died while 70 other victims are receiving treatment.
He explained that the 81 persons had been buried.
According to him, the troops within the week under review neutralised 80 terrorists, arrested 304 terrorists and rescued 44 hostages, adding that the troops also arrested 152 suspected oil thieves and seized stolen products worth N347.17 million.
He said, “Now, about the casualties, we heard from the community leader, and the figure he gave was close to 80. That is what he said. We can play the clip so you can listen to what he said. He said close to 80.
“That’s the figure of casualties that were buried. As for those who received treatment in the hospital, I recall the interview with the doctor, and he said 71, after which one person died, making it 70. So we can say 81 killed and 70 receiving treatment.”
Recall that the unfortunate bombing on Sunday caused outrage among Nigerians.
Meanwhile, Vice President Kashim Shettima visited the Barau Dikko Teaching Hospital in Kaduna on Thursday to extend condolences and support to the victims and families affected.